Planning Your Visit
What should I bring?
- Be sure to bring your photo ID, insurance card, and a prescription for PT if you were referred by a physician
- Any relevant medical test results (x-ray/MRI findings, vestibular testing, etc)
- Intake paperwork. Save time upon arrival to the clinic by printing and completing the forms found below.
- You may also want to make a list of questions for your therapist about your condition
What to wear?
We recommend comfortable, nonrestrictive clothing for your appointment because often times we will be exercising. Your clothes should allow us to evaluate your area of injury. As for footwear, we suggest comfortable closed-toe shoes. If you have any questions, please contact us prior to your first appointment.
What to expect?
- Upon arrival, please check in with our friendly reception staff. They will be there to welcome you to our practice and to ensure you’ve completed the necessary paperwork for your visit.
- You will meet your physical therapist who will ask several questions to gain a better understanding of your specific situation.
- Your therapist will then perform a comprehensive examination and will share their findings with you right away. We will use various diagrams and models to ensure you have a complete understanding of your ailment.
- Treatment will begin right away to get you started on the path toward feeling better.
- You will be provided with a home exercise program customized to your needs in order to optimize your rehabilitation process.
Do I need a prescription?
The bottom line is that for many conditions, the sooner you start treatment, the sooner you will feel better.
In New York State, beginning 2006, you can receive an evaluation and treatment by a physical therapist without a referral or prescription from a physician. This law is referred to as Direct Access. Research has repeatedly shown that Direct Access reduces out of pocket expenses and results in faster recoveries.
How does Direct Access work?
- Your therapist will be permitted to treat you without a referral for up to 10 visits or 30 days.
- Through Direct Access you can receive immediate care for your rehabilitation needs.
- If we determine that your condition warrants further medical evaluation or diagnostic testing, your therapist will facilitate communicate this to your physician on your behalf.
- If your care needs extend beyond the allotted period, we will work with you and your physician to obtain a prescription.
Are Direct Access services covered by my insurance?
When you call for an appointment, our billing staff will be able to determine if your insurance will cover services provided without a prescription.
What types of conditions can benefit from early treatment through Direct Access?
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Muscle strains
- Joint sprains